Group Policy & Public Affairs develops and advances our positions on public policy issues of key customer, commercial, financial and regulatory importance with stakeholders across the globe – from Whitehall, Westminster and devolved administrations, to Brussels, Washington DC and beyond. We aim to enhance our reputation and advise the business on how best to navigate the political environment.
In this role, you’ll help develop and execute our policy and public affairs strategy in support of our business as a major operator of and investor in digital communications networks – across fixed and mobile, and our plans for convergence. Do that well, strengthening our engagement and reputation with political audiences and stakeholders, and you can do a great deal both to advance our interests and ensure the UK has the digital infrastructure it needs for the future.
What you'll be doing
- Leading BT Group’s engagement with political stakeholders – delivering a compelling narrative of the Group’s infrastructure investment in the UK and acting as a public advocate for BT Group with Government, politicians and industry audiences;
- Managing effective relationships with wider stakeholders; owning engagement with key trade bodies, influencers and think tanks, building campaigns and tactical alliances;
- Scanning the political horizon, ensuring we’re well-prepared to take advantage of opportunities or deal with emerging issues;
- Providing expert and timely support and advice to the wider business on key political developments;
- Managing enquiries and issues from MPs.
We'll also need to see these on your CV
You will need an understanding of Government, Parliament and regulatory decision-making and processes, and the capacity to quickly spot and address political risks – ideally gained by working for/with one of: government, politicians, regulators or major trade/lobbying association. Experience of working in a high regulated sector, preferably telecoms or tech would also be preferred.
- Exceptional communication and influencing skills, able to engage confidently in public debate and argument;
- Political strategy knowledge, including tactical campaign planning;
- Experience with building effective networks internally, across industry and the political spectrum;
- An ability to understand, unpick and communicate complex policy and technical issues with impact;
- Skills using political networks and insight to help development of commercial strategies and opportunities.