Why apply for this role?
In this varied and fast-paced role, you’ll support the Head of External Affairs. You will be managing relationships and communications with key political audiences, stakeholders and relevant decision makers.
You’ll be the first point of contact for MP’s who contact the bank with any queries or issues, so your excellent communication skills will be vital.
You’ll also provide strategic advice and guidance on how the business interacts with government departments, MP’s and select committees.
What you’ll be doing
- Supporting the implementation of an integrated Public Affairs plan to communicate key messages to appropriate audiences;
- Working with internal stakeholders to ensure communications are consistent and support the Santander’s business objectives;
- Liaising with the Public Policy function to help develop positions on key European and global policy issues;
- Building positive working relationships with trade and industry bodies to help shape policy and strategy;
- Drafting responses to government consultations, submissions to Select Committee inquiries, and briefings for trade association meetings;
- Managing communications with MPs and other political stakeholders.
What we’re looking for
- Experience of working in the UK’s public policy and political environment;
- The ability to understand the political pressures the bank is facing in real time;
- Ability to quickly absorb information quickly and identify what actions are needed;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to produce high quality material;
- Ability to engage and influence a range of different external and internal stakeholders.
What else you need to know
This role is based in our Triton Square office in London, conveniently located within walking distance from Euston Station and Warren Street Station.
Given the recent impact of the Coronavirus outbreak we will be conducting all interviews via telephone or video-conference where possible.
How we’ll reward you
As well as a competitive salary, you’ll enjoy a benefits package that you can tailor to your needs.
- Eligible for a discretionary performance-related annual bonus;
- Pension with generous contributions of up to 12.5% from Santander, depending on your own contribution and length of employment with us;
- 30 days holiday plus bank holidays, with the option to purchase up to 5 contractual days per year;
- £6,000 car allowance per year;
- Company funded individual private medical insurance;
- Voluntary healthcare benefits at discounted rates such as private medical insurance for your family, dental insurance, healthcare cash plan and health assessments;
- Benefits supporting you and your family, such as death-in-service benefit, income protection, and voluntary life assurance and critical illness cover;
- Share in Santander’s success by investing in our Sharesave and Partnership shares plans.
At Santander, with only a small action or a simple idea, you can achieve great things. You can improve the daily life of more than 140 million people. You can collaborate with a friendly team of more than 200,000 employees.
It doesn’t stop there. You’ll also be part of a vibrant organisation that’s been reinventing itself for more than 160 years. One that invests millions of pounds in training its people every year. One that helps more than 2 million people every year with social programmes.
We call it #TheSantanderEffect.
Santander are an equal opportunities employer. When we talk about diversity, we don’t just want to pay lip service. Our customers come from a wide range of backgrounds, and so do our people. It’s important to us that we create an inclusive culture where everyone counts, and we particularly welcome applications from different underrepresented groups.