Job Vacancy Details
Organisation: Addax Petroleum
Job Type: Permanent
Business Area: Public Affairs, Media & Communications
Application Deadline: 15.05.2012
Reference No: 142/12/PubAffairs
Addax Petroleum is a subsidiary of the Sinopec Group, one of the largest oil and gas producers in China, the biggest oil refiner in Asia and the third largest worldwide.
Addax Petroleum was founded in 1994 upon leading petroleum industry expertise and a deep-rooted understanding and respect for African cultures. Over the years, Addax Petroleum has evolved from a young pioneer into an established international oil and gas, exploration and production company focused on Africa and the Middle East.
Addax Petroleum’s assets are located in Nigeria, the Joint Development Zone of São Tomé & Príncipe, Gabon, Cameroon and the Kurdistan Region of Iraq, comprising an excellent combination of oil and gas reserves and exploration opportunities. The Company now holds a total of 32 licensed blocks undergoing exploration, development or production. The Company’s approximate average oil production in 2011 was 140,000 bbl/d.
Addax Petroleum has over 1000 employees worldwide, service offices in Geneva (Switzerland) and Houston (U.S.A.), and operating offices in Lagos and Abuja (Nigeria), Port-Gentil (Gabon) and Douala (Cameroon).
We are looking for an External & Government Affairs Specialist.
The purpose and the objectives of the role are:
This position will primarily focus on supporting communications and government relations strategies pursued jointly by the Corporate Communications Department and the Corporate Legal Department. It will bridge the work of both departments in managing the company’s reputation and interaction with public authorities, and implement the government relations strategy coordinated from Geneva.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Write and distribute communications materials: scripts for meetings with government officials, key messages, Q&As, company statements, etc.
- Maintain – in coordination with OPCOs – up to date database of key government officials and agencies (the movers and shakers) in areas of operation and countries where entry may be considered.
- Coordinate with teams in the OPCOs arrangements for meetings with government officials: drafting of letters of invitation, coordination of agendas, logistics, and meeting arrangements, etc.
- Coordinate with teams in the OPCOs arrangements for management visits and meetings: board meetings, site visits, etc.
- Provide updates and biographies on “who’s who” in countries’ governments and local authorities and alert management on relevant developments.
- Identify key speaking opportunities at trade/B-to-B events. Coordinate conferences attendance and arrange for speaking engagements.
- Promote Company profile in advertising/sponsoring opportunities at same trade/B-to-B events/media.
- Screen requests for information, phone/email inquiries from external parties, and draft statements as per Company position.
- Work with Communications teams (Geneva and in countries) to post announcements and publicize events programs on website, intranets, internal newspapers, etc.
The technical skills required for success in the role are:
- Graduate degree in political science or public relations
- Fluent French and English.
The personal and interpersonal skills required for success in the role are:
- Excellent writing, interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Successful record as a team player and autonomous worker
- Must have diplomatic skills, be enthusiastic about his/her mission, creative, detail and problem-solving oriented.
The background and practical experience necessary for success in the role are:
- Significant experience in a similar position
- Research and analytical experience
- Familiarity with public relations, political protocol, and government affairs issues.
To apply, please send your CV to email@example.com quoting the reference ‘142/12/PubAffairs’.