Clayton Desant is currently partnered with a FTSE 250 firm who are recruiting for a Government Relations Manager.
With business interests across a variety of industries and sectors, this is a role where the successful candidate will be responsible engaging with and lobbying MPs, civil servants and other external stakeholders whilst providing political counsel to the board.
Additional responsibilities will include:
- Developing and delivering a government relations strategy;
- Managing and developing relationships with trade bodies, think tanks, industry organisations and other third party stakeholders;
- Briefing the Executive Board on policy and legislative changes that could impact the business;
- Leading external campaigns, developing parliamentary receptions, party conference events and closed door meetings with MPs.
Knowledge, skills and experience required
The business is looking for a highly intelligent and innovative public affairs/government relations practitioner who will thrive in an environment that encourages new ideas in government relations practice.
Other essential requirements include:
- A strong academic background to degree level or equivalent experience;
- Demonstrable background in government relations/public affairs within a business environment (public affairs agency, in-house, etc.);
- A strong political antenna with the ability to fuse political insight with commercial thinking;
- Excellent communication skills (verbal & written) with demonstrable experience of working with senior stakeholders;
- Proactive and curious with the confidence to suggest new ways of delivering government relations.