As an Associate Consultant or Consultant in Teneo’s Political team you'll have a passion for politics and public policy, with demonstrable experience from Westminster, Whitehall, political parties, think tanks, businesses or campaigning organisations. You’re likely to have experience in a highly regulated policy area, such as financial services, energy, pharma or tech.
You’d play a crucial role staying ahead of political and public policy developments, using your insight and judgement to help clients navigate a fast-moving landscape. You’d enjoy variety: on any given day our Consultants could be drafting a consultation response for a client; providing a briefing ahead of a stakeholder meeting; tracking a piece of legislation or regulation; supporting preparation for a Select Committee hearing; or bringing their political insights to an integrated campaigning brainstorm.
As part of Teneo, you’d work with integrated teams of specialists drawn from across our Strategy & Communications practice (including financial communications and campaigning), as well as colleagues from our management consulting and restructuring divisions. You’d work into and learn from our Senior Consultants, Associate Directors, Managing Directors and Senior Advisors.
Teneo is a stimulating, stretching and dynamic place to work. We provide opportunities for rapid progression, a high degree of responsibility and significant ambition for growth for our business and our people.
We are looking for exceptional candidates with wide-ranging perspectives who, like us, are intellectually curious, creative, collaborative and eager to learn.
Political Consulting at Teneo
Political advisory is a central element of our offer to C-Suite clients. Our work encompasses public affairs and political campaigning; public policy influencing and advisory; and regulatory capabilities.
Reputational and political risk is one of the pre-eminent concerns of every board in Britain today. We help business leaders position themselves for success during times of opportunity, change and crisis.
We help clients navigate political uncertainty, engage constructively and productively with political stakeholders, and achieve business objectives by shaping a positive (or benign) political, policy and regulatory environment in the UK.
Our work includes advising senior clients on political developments; helping clients to shape and respond to government policy proposals; developing communication strategies that showcase client best practice; supporting clients to communicate their positions to political stakeholders; identifying and tracking risks; commissioning original research on client areas of interest.
- Build good client relationships and provide strong coordination for client work and teams;
- Stay well informed and with a strong political or public policy network, with a passion for politics, policy and current affairs generally, and sharing knowledge with teams and clients;
- Offer credible and relevant client counsel and advice, drawing from understanding of the client’s business model;
- Understand the importance of managing deadlines and proactively communicate about progress against them, including upward management where required;
- Reliable and responsive with a positive attitude and willingness to get involved without waiting to be asked;
- Contribute to the team’s connectivity and insight by developing own external network within the political and policy sphere;
- Identifying opportunities for new business and organic growth for existing clients;
- Develop relationships with colleagues in London and around the world;
- A positive, flexible and ambitious team player.
Skills and Experience
- Proven experience in a political or policy role, or a communications role in a highly regulated sector with significant political or policy aspects to it such as financial services, energy, pharma or tech;
- Experience generating high quality political or communications research and analysis – including recommendations for action;
- Desirable: Experience of policy development via experience with a think tank, civil service, a party-political role, or in-house;
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, tailoring style of communication to the intended audience;
- Ability to build and sustain good client relationships;
- Appetite to build their own skills and knowledge;
- Enthusiasm about creativity and campaigning, including working with and across different communications disciplines to deliver maximum impact;
- Proactively seek and develop new and better ways of delivering client work;
- Work well under pressure, problem solving independently of senior team when required.
About Teneo London
Teneo London advises business leaders, enabling them to achieve goals faster by earning trust, navigating disruption and removing barriers.
We’re focused on strategy & communications advisory, working in close partnership with clients to help them address their biggest reputational and business issues. We have four Centres of Excellence – Campaigning, Strategy, Situations and Political, and Financial – but just one P&L, so we enjoy all the benefits of integrated working without the politics.
- Competitive salary (dependent on experience);
- 28 days holiday;
- Discretionary bonus;
- Annual salary review;
- Pension (company contribution: 5% of annual salary);
- Extensive investment in personal development & learning;
- Enhanced maternity and paternity leave (depending on length of service) and shared parental leave;
- Private medical insurance;
- Group Income protection;
- Life assurance;
- Cycle to work schemes;
- Season ticket loans;
- Regular social, cultural and charitable activities.
Teneo advises business leaders, enabling them to achieve goals faster and at lower cost by earning trust, navigating disruption and removing barriers. We are built to help businesses succeed in a world no longer defined by boundaries and disciplines. Working exclusively with the CEOs and senior executives of the world’s leading companies, Teneo provides strategic counsel across their full range of key objectives and issues.
Our clients include a significant number of the FTSE 100 and Fortune 100, as well as other global public and private corporations.
We’re an ambitious, global consultancy which allows candidates unmatched opportunities to develop and work with inspiring, motivated people. Our teams bring together the disciplines of strategic communications, investor relations, restructuring, management consulting, physical & cyber risk, financial advisory, corporate governance advisory, ESG, DE&I, political & policy risk, and talent advisory, to solve for the most complex business challenges and opportunities. We aim to make companies and institutions stronger and more valuable. We are capable of advising at the most senior levels across the world’s leading businesses and organisations and we’re proud to work with some of the strongest brands in the world.
Across the globe, Teneo employs more than 1,200 people, offering global reach from a light infrastructure, built out of regional hubs.
Our culture is critical to our success. We have a flat management structure with an open and supportive office atmosphere. To support progression and learning, we foster a supportive environment with a focus on mental health and wellbeing as well as adopting an inclusive environment that allows all employees to flourish. We recognise that diversity is essential for our business and encourage applicants from all backgrounds.
At Teneo, we have fully embraced hybrid working and redefined the way we work such that it facilitates collaboration, optimises productivity and promotes the health and wellbeing of our people. We are adopting a 60:40 principle of office: remote working across our UK business which offers the flexibility to ensure that our people are empowered to find the right rhythm for themselves, our teams and our clients. We are also happy to discuss other forms of flexible working so please let us know if this is something you would like to discuss.